Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-16, 02:47 PM   #1
hotwirez
Lurking Renovator

Default Fujitsu Problems..

So, guess it was only a matter of time until some broke in my MS system. My out door unit (AOU36RFLX) sprang a leak in its coil. It was easy for me diagnose - the system stopped cooling, and there was a large spray of oil on the side of my house.

The unit was registered with Fujitsu, so it was eligible for warranty work. I called in the only local shop that deals with Fujitsu's. They verified that a) it was out of R410A, and that yes, there was a leak in the coil...all for the low, low sum of $250. Fine, I had them submit a warranty claim on my behalf to Fujitsu, and to get me a detailed quote for the work.

I get the quote today - $2915 to r/r the coil (and it wasn't detailed, just a number). That was...quite a bit more than I was expecting. Pretty much triple, actually. I can order a new outdoor unit and replace it myself for $2350. Needless to say, them doing the work is out of the question, and I still feel anally violated for their diagnostic quote.

So...now my conundrum. I can get the coil from Fujitsu. I can dissemble the unit and get the coil out and back in - or should I attempt to repair the pin-hole leak in the coil tube? I might be able to do that in situ - otherwise, it's removed the unit from 14ft up on the side of my house. Not a big deal, but I'm a little lazy.

The real burner about this situation - I bought Fujitsu in the mistaken idea that it would be a quality unit. Well, all of the units are made in the PRC, and obviously the quality is not there on this unit.

Hotwirez

hotwirez is offline   Reply With Quote