Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-16, 03:08 PM   #1
KazBach
Lurking Renovator

Smile Hello from Texas

Hello! I've been looking around for a few days at many good threads containing interesting projects and great advice. I've gots lots of learning to do.

After 20 years in software, I'm looking for something different. Rock star was my first choice but then I was introduced to the refrigeration cycle, which I find fascinating.

M.C. Pletcher's youtube channel has provided plenty of inspiration.

LINK REMOVED

I am skeptical of having the tools/smarts to build a tiny refrig system but I'm going to give it a go anyway.

Here in central Texas it is about 100 degrees for 300 days of the year (may be exaggerating a little I guess - the humidity is high as well). The house I live in has an asphalt roof and the attic gets to about 150 degrees. In effect, the attic is a solar oven. The problem is exacerbated by the fact the AC ducts are in the attic. For many years I've just ignored it, paying exorbitant bills in the summer but now I've begun to wonder if that could not be done better. A metal (aluminum or white) roof would be much better for example.

I've learned plenty from Matt Risinger's channel:

LINK REMOVED

Coming at these problems from a consumer's perspective, rather than a builder, has lead me to many similar conclusions.

* Keep the heat out first (radiant barriers) - don't invite it in with asphalt
* Seal the walls - don't just insulate them
* Condition your attic - don't just assume that allowing it to get hot is ok
* Use an variable speed AC - rather than one that is on or off

When the AC system (which we seldom use now) is replaced here (it is OLD and inefficient. I went out and measured the amps on it the other day ~25 @ 240v which equals approximately ... too damn much!) I'm likely to recommend a variable speed system that does not rely on the ducts in the attic. We have been using window units for the last 3 years and they have saved us at least 100 a month in the summer and we are cooler.

There is a small shed here and am using it to learn and test ideas. Even good old barn aluminum does a remarkably better job of keeping out the heat. Underneath the aluminum, on a 100 degree day, the roof gets to about 100 degrees where as before it was well above 160. _Of course_ that translates to a lower internal temp. The aluminium is not hot either (like the roof was) - it is emissive. Emissivity is a remarkable property I intend to investigate further.

Anyway, that's the skinny on who I am and where I'm coming from. Hopefully I'll meet you all on the flip side. Paul

KazBach is offline   Reply With Quote