Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-14, 08:37 AM   #1
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default 2015 - Higher Efficiency Water Heaters

Apparently, we have embarrassed Uncle Sam with our DIY energy improvements because...

U.S. Department of Energy is mandating higher efficiency standards on all water heaters manufactured on and after 2015.

As far as I can tell, the testing procedures are not defined yet, but here are some of the relevant info (SOURCE):

Quote:
Q: How will gas water heaters be affected?

A: Gas models may require additional insulation, incorporate newer flue baffling technologies (including flue dampers), incorporate electronic ignition in lieu of the standing pilot, or any combination of these. One likely impact will be an increase in the overall product size, especially in diameter. For gas-fired products, over 55 gallons (< 75,000 BTU/Hr.), fully condensing combustion technology will likely be required, based on currently available technologies that are capable of meeting the new requirements. This will also mean that line voltage will have to be available, as well as a means for condensate disposal.
Q: How will electric water heaters be affected?

A: Electric water heaters will likely require more insulation. This will increase the diameter and/or height of the water heater. Additional insulation may be required for piping and fittings such as drain and T&P valves. Electric water heaters over 55 gallons (< 12 kW input) will likely utilize integrated heat pumps to meet the new EF requirements, based on currently available technology.
Q: Will oil-fired water heaters be affected?

A: Similar challenges are faced with the oil-fired products. Much like gas products, oil-fired water heaters will likely require additional insulation and/or completely new combustion systems.
This may turn out be a little step in the right direction, but it is in the right direction.

I'd be interested to know what the EU standards are.

Best,

-AC