Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Tools
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-14, 12:45 AM   #1
oil pan 4
Land owner

Default gasoline electric hybrid air compressor

I am building a replacement for my old 8 gallon wheelbarrow style gasoline powered air compressor with real old 5hp briggs and Stratton with 11 to 12 cfm compressor.

Some people will say just get an electric. I already have about 10 horsepower worth of electric compressors finely tuned and staged to work together on tap ready to go. This is for when I am away from my home base.

The replacement engine will be a more efficient and powerful honda GX200 engine and a larger 19cfm compressor. I was considering hauling around my little blue oilless air compressor for when I just needed a little bit of air to fill a tire or shoot a nail gun.

Then I picked up a used 1.5 horsepower 3600rpm craftsman 120 volt electric motor for almost nothing and had a thought.

Obviously a fixed 1 belt system where the electric motor would be turning the compressor and gas engine wouldn't work, plus that would be stupid. I was already planning to do a quick tensioning system. I found it very difficult to start my 5hp/11cfm compressor on cold days, but found the gas engine very easy to start when all by its self. I have a feeling that a larger, higher compression engine pushing twice the compressor will be even more fun to start. It would be nice to be able to start the engine by its self and apply belt tension to engauge the compressor with out losing several fingers.
The hillbilly way would be to pop the belt off, yank the engine till it starts, let it warm up a bit, shut the engine off toss the belt on and then re start. I am going to say that sucks, it wastes time in a game where time is money and it wastes gasoline.
With a little more adjustment a quick belt tension rig becomes a belt quick removal rig.
I could set it up to where the belt could be rerouted or replaced to incorporate the electric motor to slowly turn the 19cfm compressor at greatly reduced capacity. A capacity about equal to that of my 1hp oilless compressor.

I like efficiency so each motor will have a control system. The gasoline air compressors unloader/throttle down valve vents to the atmosphere when it trips. So the electric motors pressure switch will have to be set below this, or the electric motor will build up the presssure and then have it released to the atmosphere.
I thought about just using the mechanical unloader/throttle down only and running the electric motor all the time, but I dont like it, that is especially wasteful if powering it with a remote generator. The electric motors pressure switch has an unloader too that will pop and release pressure before the mechanical unloader/throttle down valve kicks in. A manual valve on the electrics control switch can fix that.
If some dumby forgets to throw the manual valve that enables electrical controls the mechanical unloader valve will still vent to atmosphere.

I have the GX200, 1.5hp electric motor, tank but not the compressor. I can put up pictures tomorrow of at least what the motors look like together.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 07-08-14 at 12:55 AM..
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote