Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-14, 06:48 PM   #11
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Yes, I agree that most cannot see past the purchase price, even when the long-term payout is far greater. As with the natural gas fracking craze and its temporarily low price (but why didn't propane prices drop with LNG prices, they both come from the same source? Hmmm...), hopefully some of us ecorenovators will choose this option. Eventually, natural gas prices will increase to levels a decade ago, after the oil industry has riddled all the lands U.S. landowners will agree to abandon.

Actually, with the latest fad from the manufacturers (stainless steel units that look more like the triple-loaders at the laundromat), the price gap should narrow a bit. One can easily spend in excess of $1000 on an electric dryer to match the $1000+ washer that looks just like it. Just look up Maytag Neptune or anything Samsung or Bosch. I imagine the markup on these units is high enough that a manufacturer could produce a heat pump unit the same size for not much more.
NG would have to hit $30 per DTH to cost as much as running a resistance heat electric dryer. Even a decade ago it only rose to $10 per DTH. Current price on my last bill was $5.20DTH.

Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote