Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-09, 10:56 AM   #1
richuu
Lurking Renovator

Default Eco cooling

Hi All,

Just joined, and I'm right in with a post! Looking through the forum, I see there's no specific section on cooling, but there is for heating. A search doesn't bring much up either.

I have a problem with the upstairs bedrooms in my house - in warm weather, I can't keep the rooms cool. I've tried keeping windows closed with blinds down, windows open with blinds down, windows open blinds up etc., and the rooms still get very warm. I'm wondering if some of the heat is coming from the roof space / loft, and better loft insulation may help. Any thoughts on that? One room in particular (our baby's nursery) doesn't get a lot of sun on it at all, and despite trying all the window and blind options above, still gets to 26 deg C or more.

After sorting my loft insulation, another thing I thought I might try is a solar powered extractor fan in the ceiling of the room, and a couple of airbricks in the wall on the cool north side of the house. As the fan pulls hot air from the top of the room, it should pull cool (15c) air in from outside. Do you think this is worth a go? It would be a lot of work getting the airbricks in, so I don't want to attempt it if it would be a dog project.

richuu is offline   Reply With Quote