Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-13, 08:56 AM   #1
stevehull
Steve Hull

Default increasing efficiency of open loop GT heat pump

Years ago I helped a friend in Colorado rig up a simple AC system for those hot days in the mountains. Via cheap black pipe, we brought down water from a spring up the hill, ran it through an old car radiator in the cabin, dumped "hotter" water into a downhill pond and used a simple box fan to blow across the cold radiator.

The water temp was about 45 F, used about 1 gallon per minute and did a simply fantastic job . It also provided a source of water for the cabin . . . , but no so good in winter

Currently, I am using ground source (open loop) heat pumps to heat and cool. My water temp is in the 50's.

The idea is to put a precooler in front of the "A" coil using water that will shortly be used to go through the GT heat pump.

A few calculations show that I can reduce the inlet air temperature by about 5-10 degrees F, minimally change the water temperature (perhaps 1 degree F) and increase the moisture extraction of the "A" coil by precooling the inlet air. Water flow is about 4 GPM.

The cost is an old radiator, some PVC pipe and a bit of time . . .

Before I start, has anyone tried this? I have heard that ClimateMaster offers this as an option, but calls to a local dealer indicate he has not heard of it.

Steve

Tags
gt heat pump, higher efficiency, open loop