Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-12, 12:44 PM   #1
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Default Computer power save modes - granola

I just ran across Granola Granola Personal Software Power Management and decided to give it a try
Basically it's a pay whatever you want ($0 is fine) piece of software that when installed on your system it adjusts your power save modes in the system.

They have windows and Linux versions. Getting power save modes setup in linux had been a big pain in the *** so I'm really happy with this so far

I installed it on my AMD quad core that was already pretty low power usage hardware running Ubuntu and fired it up.

There is no noticable difference on the system performance wise but it reports that I will save 105.6 kwh/yearly from a 20.4% CPU energy reduction.

I have noticed that the more I stop running on my machine the higher the amount saved goes. I normally have chrome and firefox idling on the system with a few dozen tabs between them as well as XBMC idling at the menu incase someone wants to watch something on TV. shutting down chrome to 8 tabs and closing firefox and XBMC completely got me to 26% CPU energy reduction.

Together with my turning the machine off at night when I'm sleeping the two should work out to about 450 kwh saved yearly. That's almost 5% of my total yearly usage. and is a full 1/2 of my reduction goal for this year. Once again done at zero cost and minimal effort.
<edit> 30 minutes later the total savings has climbed to 41% on this machine. or 213.5 kwh. I'll need to get the kill a watt out and do some testing to verify these numbers. </edit>

Last edited by strider3700; 10-15-12 at 01:15 PM..
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote