Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-11, 02:01 PM   #1
Phantom
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default Bathroom project

To add to all the things that I have to do for the house (see signature for house info) we now need to replace the tile in the tub surround. Why it needs to be replaced is the old grout was cracked water got in and ended up popping a few tiles off shattering as they fell, behind the tile was fiber board and then drywall. The bathroom is on the main floor with a basement below and above is a finished room for the first 2/3 and the last 1/3 (shower) is open to the roof.

We found a contractor (one man business) who gave us an estimate on doing the bathroom that was very reasonable (did not include any materials except for the tub). He was going to come out to the house yesterday to start removing the old tile but did not show up, no one answered the phone when I called last night or this morning (his wife returns the phone calls).

Now I am back to the point of doing it myself the issues with that though is my limited time and little experience doing this type of work. I have never tiled before, so it will be a new skill that I learn.

If I do this myself it will be a 2 stage project:

Stage one Shower:
Remove tile and surrounding walls and tub
Move existing plumbing from the left hand side to the right for easier access
Insulate exterior wall R-13
Add Exhaust fan
Replace tub add tile and grout

Stage one questions:
1. When adding insulation to the exterior wall of the shower is should I be using unfaced insulation?
2. After the insulation what type of protective sheeting is needed?
3. Are there any issues with installing the fan vent coming out of the soffit?
4. When installing the cement board should I Install this all the way to the floor?

Stage two (Picture):
Remove all drywall
Remove\shrink the bathroom closet adding an exposed shelf on the top for plants.
Replace bathroom door with larger one (can't currently fit a walker in the bathroom if needed)
Install new sub-floor and floor (tile)
Maybe add a new toilet
Replace vanity and sink
Click image for larger version

Name:	bathold.GIF
Views:	659
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	1798Click image for larger version

Name:	bathnew.GIF
Views:	615
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	1799

I might be crazy trying to do this myself but its not often that I have been accused of being sane. I just hope that I am over reacting and we can have this guy call me back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote