Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-11, 10:40 PM   #1
tomboy mom
Helper EcoRenovator

Default trellis ideas--not sure how to use my materials

i'm working on a trellis to go against a block wall. i have gathered a nice supply of sticks about 2-3 inches diameter and about 10-15 ft long. they are mostly palo blanca and ironwood.

i want to build a trellis of sorts for tying things on. any ideas for how to secure the sticks to each other? i don't want to have to make them square or anything like that...the goal is very little work here, lol! the sticks are actually a close match in color to the fence so they should blend in nicely if i can figure out a good support system.

the goal of the trellis--provide a grabbing place for whatever will survive the radiant heat of the block. i'm trying grapes but if that doesn't work i will use cucumbers and beans. i'm aware that the production will be less than ideal and i am okay with that. my main concern is to reduce the heat bouncing back on our fruit trees. it's definitely a bonus to have something for the kids to snack on.

i would really prefer something that could climb on the wall without tying but creeping fig is out unfortunately. we are sort of the neighborhood house that all the kids come to for hanging out. the kids know everything in the backyard is edible and i really want to keep it that way. so--anything poisonous is definitely out for this area of the yard. thorns are okay though. i

tomboy mom is offline   Reply With Quote