View Single Post
Old 09-29-15, 09:05 PM   #99
ctgottapee
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
There is a lot of air flow space on both sides of the unit and this new roof's angle is much higher than on the #1 unit on the east side of the house.

If you want to see restriction, check out the Mitsubishi mini split wind baffle.
http://www.kingersons.com/images/pro...ind-baffle.jpg
It's on the output side, and is going to add to the motor's load.

I think the main reason the manufactures want 8 or 10 feet of open space above the outdoor unit, is the fire hazard. If the main board catches on fire, and the flames go up a couple of feet and, with the unit is installed under a wooden deck.. That could be dangerous..

Just get a 24" box fan, plug in a KiloWatt meter and run it sitting 18 to 30 inches from a wall.. Now make a fake 4'x4' snow roof out of cardboard, and lower it down until it's 10 or 15 inches above the fan..
If you see over 1% more power being used, I would be very surprised..

I plan on getting a couple of the new hi-tech units when these old Sanyos die..
The older unit is starting to act up, so it's going to be replaced soon..
Maybe next summer..?.

I don't doubt your logic, but I figure that put the clearances in there for a reason, and you've got a good one there. The main entry is from above with most mountings near a rear wall and ground so it makes sense. I don't think obstruction/air resistance is as much an issue as access to air, hence the front baffle accessory isn't much of an issue, but they don't publish numbers with it installed either so who knows.

Reminds me of the location issue. Does putting an outside condensor in the shade help to lower cooling costs; seems logical. But it is the air that is an issue, and not the tadbit of heat the unit itself receives from direct sun contact that matters - I thought that was interesting research.

I've wondered if routing large earth tubes to the back of the outside minisplit would help it draw in better air.... Even if it did work I guess you would need quite an expanse of ground to make the thermodynamics pay off long term.

Let's hope for a mild winter!
ctgottapee is offline   Reply With Quote