View Single Post
Old 10-27-14, 05:19 PM   #10
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

AC,

I didn't figure they were really worthy of their own threads. They were more or less proof-of-concept devices to help me get an idea of this whole phase-change realm of things. I have made mention of some of them in other threads belonging to whoever. I believe I have posted a few pics along the way.

Once I gained enough insight into the potential of these units, as well as some idea of how they act, I built the window a/c heat pump in my thread. If you'd like, I can start a couple of threads about them on their own. Most of them still live, but wifey banished them to the barn or shed for one reason or another.

F357,

There is a quick, easy way to make the unit you have work off its own thermostat for heating duty. Grab a 120VAC SPDT relay from radio shack or some other parts store, along with an SPDT switch. Disconnect the thermostat from its load, leaving the live side connected. Rig the relay coil to operate off of the thermostat. Connect the common terminal of the relay contacts to the live side of the thermostat, and the load to the common terminal of the SPDT switch. Connect the NC contact of the relay to one side of the SPDT switch, and the NO contact to the other side of the switch. In one switch position, the thermostat will be active in cooling. In the other, it will be active in heating.

For heating operation, you just need to fish the sensing bulb through to the back side of the window unit. Since the unit draws air in from the sides and out the back, the sensing bulb will be exposed to fresh air before it is heated.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote