View Single Post
Old 10-26-14, 06:20 PM   #5
F357
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
It looks like what you need to do is install a temperature sensor that shuts off the compressor and leaves the fan running when the coil gets near freezing to give it a chance to blow the warmer air over and allow it to defrost. With temperatures well above freezing and with the coil not completely frosted over, the defrost cycle would probably only take a few minutes. Cheaper heat pumps usually use a timer, I'd imagine some trial and error over the amount of time the compressor runs and the amount of compressor off time needed could be figured out to develop a crude but useful defrost system.
That's what I was thinking. Problem with that is when I shut it off, and the ice melts, that rush of water hits the fan and I get some water mist out the hot side. I suppose I need to modify it to give the water a better path out.

I will put the covers back on if I get it working how I like, just wanted to fool the temperature sensor before I go hacking up the wiring.

Another thought I had, what if I hooked it to a VFD, and slow it down some? I would get less heat, but maybe I could stop it from freezing and then it wouldn't need to cycle on and off as the room gets warm enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
A quick warning: don't run the unit frosted up like that for any extended amount of time. You'll be finding a nother unit to experiment with when the compressor burns up.
Just curious, why is that? I thought they could just run that way to make a block of ice? (Not that I need to)
F357 is offline   Reply With Quote