Thread: My new project
View Single Post
Old 07-18-11, 08:21 AM   #2
S-F
You Ain't Me

What I had to work with. This is the simple attempt at finishing a basement when I came into the project.

And after We tore everything out.

Colin and Lane with the home made saw horses.

Enough R-13 bast to cover all of the perimeter walls.

Enough foam to bring the walls to R-29 and the floor to R-16.

Had to tear out a column and put some LVL's in instead.

Foam on the floor.

Then down goes the Advantech subfloor. It's screwed down with 5" tapcons.

Then foam on the walls.

Also check out the new radon stack in that last one. It penetrates the slab in two places on separate sides of the house. I got the previous owners to install that. It brought the radon down from 19.x to below 3. Once I'm done sealing up the house I'll take measurements again. I might have to install another stack.

Then framing.

I recently got the heat load calcs back and they are basically 0. The basement can be heated with 4 75 watt incandescent bulbs at -5. It also is improving the existing load of the house by about 25%.
Unfortunately I was becoming deathly ill during this whole process so progress has slowed to a crawl in the past two weeks. I have all of the wiring done, including running CAT-6 all through the house, and the framing is finished. I'm probably in it for about $5,000 in materials all done and said. It's interesting to see how little it costs to do this kind of thing when I'm not subing out plumbing and electric. Tomorrow I spray the band joist area with foam. I got a 600 board ' kit. I have only ever used the 200 ' kits before so I've had this one warming up for days now. The manual J suggested that 10% of my whole house heat loss was through the band joist and the masonry above grade. So I'm nipping that in the bud right there.
More to come.

Last edited by S-F; 07-19-11 at 02:29 PM..
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote