Thread: Hey from GA..
View Single Post
Old 10-20-08, 07:35 PM   #5
Blister
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Welcome to ecorenovator! What kind of place are you living in?
I'm not sure whether you're asking about housing or the area so I'll be forthcoming with both. lol. We live in a mobile home on 21.5 acres that belongs to my dad. We're trying to make the place as efficient as we can and do something with the land that will be non-invasive but semi-lucrative. Growing passion flower was one idea I had.

The area is just outside of a small town of 6600 people about an hour SE of macon. Very rural. Most of the people I meet really don't take too well to any other ideas than what they were raised with. Due to the size of the town, many, if not most, drive out of town to work so I'm sure fuel prices are causing them to stop and look around a little but alternative construction methods haven't caught on much at all. I did hear of one man starting a cordwood home but I don't know him. I'm not sure if it was for aesthetics or efficiency.

I hope to get my porch roof on and start planning the strawbale enclosure (46'x15') for it because I want to see how many I can interest in the idea but kinda need a working "model" if you know what I mean. There may be a niche market there if I can interest some folks. Creating income by saving people some of their own income seems like a beneficial idea to me. Good for everyone. I only know of a small handful of strawbale houses in Georgia currently and none of them are in this county or any of the surrounding counties.

Most of the homes in this area are wood framed and brick (still wood framed).
Blister is offline   Reply With Quote