View Single Post
Old 01-27-14, 01:21 AM   #8
Acuario
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Last summer I installed a combined wood and solar heating system for a client of mine. He bought a second hand hugely overrated wood burner, a boiler rather than a glass fronted nice to have in the lounge burner. He soon discovered it was too powerful for his house.
I added a 1000L buffer storage tank and 4 solar panels to his system. the buffer tank also supplies domestic hot water.

The system works wonderfully. He lights is boiler for a few hours every 2 or 3 days or as needed and it supplies heating and hot water. He has his own supply of wood from olive and carob trees.
https://www.oeg.net/en/tank-in-tank-...ion-g516005400

A couple of important things to be aware of with any wood burner with a back boiler is that you must ensure it has a way to circulate the water to ensure that there is no way the water will boil and that the water tanks don't usually have a very high working pressure so are not really suited to closed systems.

Also they can consume a lot of wood! Sometimes the Kw rating of the burner is given based on burning coal not wood. The wood rating I have seen on some burners is 30% lower than the rating when burning coal.

Acuario
Acuario is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acuario For This Useful Post:
Daox (01-27-14)