Thread: FLIR i7
View Single Post
Old 09-03-15, 10:59 PM   #7
Quest
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
oil pan 4,

I think I found the major source of your heat loss.

It is this strangely shaped object in the photo below:

If this is an appliance, it certainly is a strange looking appliance. It would be a good idea to see if there are any other models of this appliance that are "Energy Star" rated.

If you look at any of your other images, none of them come even close to this one in terms of wasted heat.

In fact, along the bottom edge of the photo you can see what a huge amoint is lost from the appliance plug-in cord alone.

All in all, I can't imagine any way to utilize an appliance as wasteful as this one is.

Good you got your Flir 7... otherwise, you never would have known.

Sincerely,

-AC
LOL! I too, had one of these flea-bitten high heat loss device in the house. Good to have it with me while camping (keeping the tent+ sleeping bag warm, but fleas kept me awake anyways)....mine tend to be somewhat high maintenance and low thermal efficiency (still considered high heat loss).

If only I can find a hypoallergenic type with lower maintenance cost (less medical costs overall) and energystar 2.0 certified (I believe standby power consumption shouldn't exceed 0.4~0.6watts/hr), that would be ideal...but then again: that rather "cold-blooded" heater may not serve me all that well during camping trips....need longer time to warm up the sleeping bag...

Decisions, decisions, oh well, too late to get one nowadays...I've made up my mind to severe the ties with these high heatloss device altogether, but to rely on artificial forms of heating the house....

Good try though..
Quest is offline   Reply With Quote