View Single Post
Old 04-15-15, 04:24 AM   #4
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

YOU are your dad now. If You have kids, teach them right. Trends in the world will always change, but when the poop hits the fan, the many rely on the few to keep things going. Help your kids understand that.

As of this week, I'm working on a vacuum tube guitar amp project with my youngest, a senior. It's a scratch build, since we went to guitar center and the screaming ones cost $3000. Rather than spend his hard earned bank, we are resurrecting a reel-to-reel deck from the '50s. We have two tubes running as of today, and the outputs are on order from ebay. Meanwhile, the thing is rigged push-pull off the phase inverter triodes for a whopping 1/2 Watt! He has taken over the soldering iron and is head over heels for this new retro sound. He will soon develop the bug and begin his quest for the perfect tone...

Last weekend, I went to visit my older son, who has moved out with his girl. He found a car... a project. Since we built and rebuilt lots of them in the past, he knew what to look for. The new project is a '91 Chevy Blazer Tahoe 4x4 that Billy Bob put in a ditch and blew the engine trying to climb out sideways. He knew from past experience that the 4.3L v6 engine in it can be found everywhere for cheap. He has lines on two at the moment... one for $75.00 that runs, one for 200 that runs well. Now all we have to do is an engine swap (at his place).

I have always paid my kids on a grade scale. $3 for an A, $2 for a B, nothing for a C, $-1 for a D, and -$3 for an F. Multiply the total by their grade level. At present, my senior is earning close to $300 a semester! Money really does talk.

Last edited by jeff5may; 04-15-15 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: Had to go to the JOB
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote