View Single Post
Old 04-12-12, 02:16 PM   #8
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuario View Post
So my plan is:
1. Get the unit working with the existing internal unit control board removed from the internal unit.
2. 'Crack' the control code - unless it is detailled in the service manual (that I'm hoping to get hold of). It signalls down 1 wire (certainly referenced to ground or neutral so I should be able to monitor it).
3. Build my own controller to manage the external unit.
Acuario,

As far as I'm concerned, this project you have going is the holy grail of heat pump hacking.

Modern mini-splits have wonderful efficiency, rivaling GSHP of a decade ago, and getting an inverter mini-split to heat water for radiant heating is such a great fit. The only existing unit that does this is the Daikin Altherma and it is really expensive.

Additionally, from my point of view, breaking the code on the inverter compressors makes them candidates for ultra high efficiency GSHPs, which would place our hacker community right at the cutting edge of the technology.

I did look at Xringer's link below and it is an absolute treasure horde of great information.

I am in touch with some pretty high-powered electronics geeks here in my home town, so if you hit a dead end, there is abundant help available.

I really like what you are doing, attempting to get the maximum effect while leaving as much of the existing developed circuitry in place.

Lots of photos and detailed descriptions will help you get more help... and ultimately help others in their projects.

Good luck on this one!

-AC_Hacker