View Single Post
Old 03-30-18, 05:02 PM   #3
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

AWG vs Gauge

As it turns out 8-gauge and 8 AWG are different diameters. luckily I ended up with thicker 8 gauge.
The differences in diameter are not linear , in this case 8 gauge is nearly as thick as 6 AWG

8 AWG = 3.26 mm
8-gauge = 4.06 mm

6 AWG = 4.11 mm
6-gauge = 4.88

Converted to max current 30' @ 3% loss

8-gauge = 43A
8 AWG = 33A = 25% less current

The wire calculator in the previous post was for solid core wire this time using a marine wire calculator and posted it below.

Using 8 AWG ( not the thicker 8 gauge )

Max current 30' 48v 3% loss = 38A / 1824w

Max distance with 8-gauge 50' length 48v @ 22A 3% loss = 1056w

Technically I could increase the max current / wattage by 25% of those 8 AWG numbers but I won't as I don't need the current but do like the reduced voltage loss the thicker wire provides.

Tinned Copper

Not only does tinning boost copper's properties. Tinned wire lasts longer in operating temperatures of over 100 degrees Celsius! It is that simple.
A 12 gauge tinned copper wire will last up to 10 times long than a comparable 12 gauge bare wire.

Tinned copper makes soldering connections easier. Tin being one of the primary components of solder.
The tinning itself boosts coppers conductivity and makes it more resistant to breakage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote