View Single Post
Old 10-09-15, 08:13 AM   #9
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

OK, so phase 1 is almost done. I found a bargain on the pro-size BOSS spray foam at the local indoor flea market for $3 a can. Played around with caulking the outside vs just filling from within and found that filling from within was way easier. I had plenty of half inch blue xps, so it went into the soffit block spaces directly after the spray foam. If I was rich, I would have just bought some big dog cylinders of foam and a pro gun. The job would have went much cleaner and faster. Chopping styrofoam into little pieces and icing each crevice like a cake is rather sloppy and time consuming.

Corner pics:

Some of the larger outdoor gaps:

These leaked through a whole lot less than I thought they would, especially considering the barrier foam backing the inside.

Half inch polyiso was cut to fit and placed next to the steel wall sections with some airspace between the siding and the shiny side of the foam board. This will reflect the summer sun back outdoors and also act as a vapor barrier.

As you can see, we are in the process of mocking up a stud wall which will house the R13 fiberglass batts that will go in next.

Dude ran out of budget this week, so I am waiting for cash to buy seam sealing tape and a couple more boards to cover the remaining few feet of steel siding by the front door. Luckily, today is payday!

While I was over there, the neighbor he shares his driveway with had some work for me to do: we re-did his leaky porch roof. More importantly, he has treasure in his back yard, presently acting as a home for wasps:

Neighbor guy said since he saved so much money by having me diagnose his roof problems and leading his crew (scallywags and kids), he might just give it to me. He also works on hot rods, so he has torches and purge gas on site...
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote