View Single Post
Old 09-27-15, 11:09 PM   #6
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I stopped by the big box stores today to see what they have in stock. The only size of polyiso they carry is half inch. They were both completely out of 1 inch xps, plenty of 2 inch in stock. They both had gobs and loads of fiberglass batts in stock.

Looks like we will be doing the roof first. Batts in between rafters, then something under the batts.

Anybody else have any idea on how to do the walls and eaves for good results? I am open to caulking the gaps from the outside, but I'm not sure that Alex or silicone will fill those gaps well over the long haul. Is there another good caulk that will seal well and bridge those big gaps? A carpenter at work said there is a new formulation of liquid nails that might do the job.

My cousin started talking about putting fiberglass right in behind the steel siding and stapling a vapor barrier to the inside. It took a minute for him to understand that he has no framing behind the purlins they installed flush to the load-bearing posts and siding. He was not happy when he figured out we need to frame those two walls before insulating them.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote