Thread: Composting!
View Single Post
Old 05-07-09, 06:32 PM   #14
basjoos
Helper EcoRenovator

I compost in several locations. In the garden, I sheet compost in the paths between my beds where garden waste combined with material cut from the grass and weeds growing in the paths decays naturally like leaves decay in the woods. Once a year or so (or whenever I need it) I dig this compost from the paths to add to the raised beds.

Composting also occurs in the sheep feeding areas where spilled hay/feed and sheep manure get trampled into the ground by the sheep and compost naturally. I'll dig this compost out in the winter.

Also I do some composting where I mix the hay/feed/manure compost mentioned above with fresh sheep manure collected in the winter areas where the sheep congregate. I will typically leave it in a mound for a growing season and usually end up growing peas and melons on it while its there. I will dump vegetable scraps from the house onto the mound where the healthy worm population quickly reduces it to compost. I also use it as a convenient worm supply for when I want to catch bluegill from the farm lake for the table.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
basjoos is offline   Reply With Quote