View Single Post
Old 05-26-12, 09:46 AM   #6
GaryGary
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I would skip the baffles all together and tap in to the top and bottom of the barrels sides and install a car radiator with the fan blowing over that, plastic is not a good conductor of heat and the surface area of a single automotive radiator is going to be about the same as the whole outside of a barrel, the taps top and bottom are going to allow a good thermo syphin so you are getting the greatest heat differential as well.

I'm sure a radiator would work well, but I'd like to see If I can make the simpler arrangement work first. The log actually shows that for the airflow I have the barrels are doing a pretty good job of extracting coolth from the air (that is the air temperature is changing by a fair amount through the tunnel). I think I will try more airflow and a more optimized tunnel before going to something more complicated.
The other thing is that if the barrels extract (say) half the coolth in the night air, the rest flows into the shop and cools the show so the coolth in the air is still used.

Gary
GaryGary is offline   Reply With Quote