View Single Post
Old 05-26-12, 09:39 AM   #5
GaryGary
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I would add (partial) baffles between the barrels. This would make the airflow zigzag around and in between them, and increase turbulence, making heat exchange more efficient. The baffles may only be part of the height, or you might make them so that half the height is on the left and the other half on the right, so that there is airflow on both sides of the barrels.

At some point you'll reach the limit of heat exchange on the surface and you'll have to wait for the heat/cool which is deeper inside the barrel to move outwards. Stirring the water would speed that up, though would make it more complicated.

Snow?!? We've just been through our second heat wave and haven't seen snow since the end of Feb. Though this winter has been very short with hardly any snow
We had a pretty mild winter also, but spring has been exciting.

I did think about baffles like you show, and it seems like a good idea, but I'm not certain. With the baffles shown, it looks like the first barrel would get good flow on all sides, but the it look like the 2nd barrel might get poor flow around one side. I guess its easy enough to try and just measure the flow velocities on each side of each barrel.
Seems like there must be some baffle pattern that would help.

I think that as one of the comments pointed out, I need more total flow as the air that is going through is showing a pretty good temperature rise -- that is, its working but needs more flow.

Gary
GaryGary is offline   Reply With Quote