View Single Post
Old 09-26-11, 08:45 PM   #19
Slavic381
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
there has been no change in my attic temperature.
As long as I had a radiant barrier on the floor of the attic I wouldn't concern myself much with temperature and, as far as ventilation, would just make sure that I have enough bottom vents (soffits/eves) and top vent(s) (Wind turbine Roof Fan) for proper airflow. And I mean TOP vent(s) for proper airflow, not middle.

The attic temp would actually be higher because the radiant barrier would block so much heat back into the attic, but below the barrier and the inside would BE and, more importantly, FEEL much cooler because 5% of HEAT is transferred through conduction, 20% through convection, but 75% through RADIATION

Unlike radiant barrier regular insulation does not block heat. The R value of regular insulation rates resistance to CONDUCTIVE heat transfer and is not applicable to a radiant barrier.

Without a radiant barrier, by the time You are back from work, a lot of is absorbed and STORED in Your insulation and is ready for You to FEEL it's RADIANT glow even though Your thermostat is trying to convince You that the AIR TEMPERATURE is "comfortable". (Unless You have a thermostat that measures "mean radiant temperature" or a "globe thermometer")

BTW, apparently It is OK to put a radiant barrier on top of existing insulation AS LONG AS IT IS NOT A VAPOR BARRIER. (So perforated or chips would do.)

Last edited by Slavic381; 09-26-11 at 08:54 PM..
Slavic381 is offline   Reply With Quote