View Single Post
Old 06-07-11, 02:52 PM   #8
toolingjim
Believer in Progress

Weed Dog,

Never even noticed the rectifier in the description. That means that $40 plus shipping gets you a 1 horse power unit.
My offer of machining help stands if you need an adaptor. With that small a shaft, using a belt drive would be a necessity to avoid trashing the motor the first time you hit a rock.
Just brainstorming here, but best bet might be a welded sheet metal tunnel mounted on the top of the deck. It could double as a motor mount and belt guard. Set your pulley centers to fit some common v-belt. You will also need a blade shaft housing and shaft. Couple of flange bearings would do, or make a weldment and machine for bearings. Six months ago you could have had the center out of my old rider's deck, but it's probably a car fender by now.
You might want to do a quick check on blade speed. IIRC, mower motors run about 3600 rpm, so you should be ok, but it never hurts to check. I think the rule of thumb is that the tip speed should not go supersonic.
No, I don't know daox. I did read his thread on the electric rider, and realized where he lived when he showed us his yard on the thread.
BTW, can anybody tell me where this Milwaukee Electric Car Club meets? I'm not a big electric car freak, but mechanics of all sorts interests me. Might as well take a look...

Last edited by toolingjim; 06-07-11 at 02:55 PM..
toolingjim is offline   Reply With Quote