View Single Post
Old 08-06-13, 02:32 PM   #1
goblinsly
Lurking Renovator

Default Use water to cool down your apartment

Hey there,

Today i did a fun project, did it more or less for fun. I am taking water from toilete tank since it refills itself when its empty. Cold water goes through the copper pipe and then heated water goes down the drain ( literaly ). There is no pump since suction and gravitation does all the work. Fan blows air over the copper pipes and heats them.

I am wondering how good this system would work on those really hot days ... would it make a difference ?

Let us say the sistem will use 1 cubic meter ( 1000 liters ) of water per day. And lets say that the water will have 15C when it enters and 25C when it leaves. Soo 10C delta. Would this calculation be correct?

Q = 4.186 J/g K *1,000,000g * 10K = 41860000J

And since it will be done in 24 hours .... 86400 seconds ....

41860000J/86400s = ~490W of cooling per hour .... is this correct ?

If this indeed is correct and we assume that the apartment that is 20 square meters big and has 32C to to begin with ... i do belive this would make a small difference in the temperature ... and when its 32C ... every degree counts.

There is an eco note though .... a lot of water would be wasted ... water is very cheap here ... but its a shame to waste water. Maybe if it would be only used in those days where its just too hot ....

I can say that the air that fan blows into me is colder .... i could add ice to the toilete tank ..... it would make the kitchen hoter but the air blowing into my workspace would certanly be cooler. Soo, what do you think ?

Last edited by goblinsly; 08-06-13 at 02:35 PM..
goblinsly is offline   Reply With Quote