View Single Post
Old 02-25-22, 09:49 PM   #3
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default $25.49 "drop-in" Ampere-Time LiFePO4 battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
Might it make more sense to fit a PoE adapter in the box and power it from the same backup power source that supplies the rest of the critical equipment in the network? (That's what I did for the core switch in my network, the location makes it inconvenient to fit a backup battery. I powered it using PoE from the server room.)
My home 48v back-up power system is manually operated. It's almost never turned on. I run it to test the system when there's a lot of sun available to recharge it.

The 12v battery in the ONT is to provide full power to the ONT for a very short grid-failure. After a few minutes, (w/o grid) it will shut off power to the circuits that provide signal data to the Fios Router and our Cable TV STB. (Power Conservation Mode) When those two ONT devices aren't using power, the ONT 12Vdc battery can still provide our ONT landline phone service for several hours. The landline is the main reason for the battery.

When there is a grid failure that lasts more than a few minutes, we will turn on the 48v inverter, and 120vac is provided to the outlets in my office, so the PC and Fios router can be used. Plus power outlets in the basement will provide 120vac power to the Fios ONT unit/charger.
120vac Power outlets for some lighting, the basement freezer, and the sump pumps in the basement are also fed by the back-up 48v power inverter system.
I'm happy with this setup and I believe the $25.49 "drop-in" Ampere-Time LiFePO4 battery is a good investment. IF it keeps working for 10 years!