View Single Post
Old 08-03-14, 10:18 AM   #1
stevehull
Steve Hull

Default PV powered pond aerator

I have a ~ 2 acre irrigation pond that needs aeration to prevent algae growth in summer.

On another pond, closer to the house, I use a 110 AC powered air compressor that leads via tubing to an air stone on the pond bottom. Works like a charm.

I have been looking on e-Bay and have seen 12 V DC diaphragm type air compressors that put out about 50 L/min (~13 gallons/min) and they use about 35 watts. Don't need a car tire type pump as I don't need that high pressure. Can't use the cheap ($10) air pumps to blow up air mattresses as they are too low in pressure. Need about 15-20 psi max and the $50 e-Bay pumps do this.

Don't need to run this air pump 24 hours a day and daylight hour operation would be fine. Here is the question . . .

Can I buy a 50 watt PV panel and connect it directly to the DC air pump? I could easily use a small charge controller connected to a battery, but that battery is another $80 expense and I don't need to run the air pump all the time.

Couple concerns. What if the PV panel is putting out 50 watts and the pump only requires 35. Is the PV panel a voltage source or a current source? Also what about start up when the PV panel is not putting out enough voltage - will the pump burn out (due to higher current?).

Thinking of putting on a small voltage regulator . . ., but do I need to go to this trouble.

Thoughts? As always, thanks in advance.

Steve