View Single Post
Old 12-14-13, 09:32 AM   #163
Daox
Administrator

The two layouts in question are shown below. One has 6" spacing, the other 5" spacing. I am using aluminum heat spreader plates.

A spiral design was considered, but I think this should be easier, especially considering the non-rectangular room. I also don't think that uneven floor heat will be that big of an issue. The warmer end of the loop will be on the outer wall (the outer wall is the top of the images).

I did not use any software to design the floor besides the CAD for layout. I'm just trying to get the best most efficient design that is reasonable. I'm not trying to hit a specific heating load or anything. I just want to make the best use of what I do have (solar) which isn't going to be enough to do everything anyways. Perhaps this is flawed thinking, but it pushes me toward the extreme end anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
The drywall and priming is done.

The hydronic floor work is ready to start anytime. This is the current tubing layouts I have laid out for the floor. I drew it up in my CAD software (SolidWorks). I'm looking for some feedback on which will be better and if the extra work will be worth it?

This is the easier one. The tubing is on 6" centers. Each parallel length is 1380 inches long, so flow will be equal through all branches. By using parallel runs, pumping losses should be minimized even for a small room.

Here is the second more preferred, but definitely more work. This is with 5" tubing centers. The parallel lengths are about 1720 inches each. I like this one because it really works into the irregularities of the room better. I don't see there being a huge benefit from going from 6" centers to 5" centers otherwise. My heat spreaders are 4.75" wide. I am wondering if bending my 1/2" pex tubing will be more of an issue with this spacing?

Feedback is very welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote