View Single Post
Old 04-28-13, 08:08 AM   #40
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Now that sounds awesome! Use the cool well water as your source, pump it to your choice of air cooler in the basement, then run the somewhat warmed water upstairs to another air cooler. Discharge the warmed water to wherever it would be most useful. Set up the water pump to run off of your picaxe using temp differential control above an indoor temp setpoint.
Yeah, that's a great way to look at it, kind of through an 'exergy' lens... using the appropriate heat energy (or in this case 'cool energy') at different steps as the energy cascades it's way down to an unusable entropy level.

That's a very sophisticated approach. There is even a book that is no longer easy to get called, "Low Temperature Heating and High Temperature Cooling REHVA Guidebook". You might be able to find it in libraries somewhere (inter-library loan). There was considerable work done on this front in Europe. A consortium called LowEx was formed and there was a broad effort to get other countries involved, including the US, who declined to get involved (you can lead a horse to water, but it's still a horse).

As far as I can see, the Europeans have internalized the lessons learned and are applying them to their approaches to heating & cooling.

I started a thread on EcoRenovator as a repository for information and discussion on this topic. The entry that has the most useful links to information is HERE.

I have searched for and found papers that detail 'Exergy Analysis' of heating and cooling projects. Most of the papers I have found at the time of my searches seem to come from Germany, Denmark, India and China.

Best,

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 04-28-13 at 08:13 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote