View Single Post
Old 08-22-12, 02:12 PM   #256
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeric View Post
...If one is using a renewable resource such as a solar collector or collector(s) to heat the water then it may be less of an issue...
Actually, it is more of an issue rather than less of an issue.

Fossil fuel is very energy dense, and has high exergy, in other words it is capable of easily producing high temperatures. It was created around 100 million years ago. It is stored ancient sunlight. We, as a planet have already used up half of our supply.

If we did have a limitless supply of this stuff, and if it was very cheap, then no problems... build a pretty hardwood floor, staple up your PEX under the subfloor, forget about aluminum spreader plated, install wall to wall 1/2 inch foam carpet padding, install luxurious, thick wall to wall pile carpet, and settle back in your comfortable chair and know that all is good with the world. Just keep turning up the boiler until your feet feel toasty.

But unless you lived in the an area of extremely mild winters, don't think that you would be able to heat your house with low exergy renewables, it would be a mistake. Renewables won't deliver the higher temperatures that would allow the heat to fight its way through all of the thermal barriers. With solar and with heat pumps you don't have the option to keep turning up the temperatures until the thermal barriers are overwhelmed.

Think you can turning up the sun? Good luck to you.

My point is that the design principles that will make heating with renewables possible, will make heating with fossil fuels very economical.

But obviously, not everyone is interested in economy... not yet.

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 08-22-12 at 02:15 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote