View Single Post
Old 08-21-12, 07:48 PM   #252
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeric View Post
I think the biggest advantage to under subfloor pex (if you don't have extremely cold winters and you have a crawl space) is that it allows much better flexibility for installing different floor coverings. For instance, in my house I have 3/4" diagonal planks for the subfloor over which I'm installing 5/8" plywood as an underlayment.

A back of the envelope R value for 3/4" hardwood is about 0.9 or so. Assuming the plywood and planking are about the same that would come out to around R = 1.8 before any floor covering is laid. That is actually a good thing provided you back insulate it for an under subfloor pex installation job. It means that the difference between a linoleum or a thick carpet floor covering will have much less effect on the required heat output from the pex.

Taking the opposite case with the pex installed directly under the floor covering you will have a change in the R value between a linoleum and carpet installation where it goes from an R value of about .25 (1/4 plywood) and about R = 3 for heavy carpet. Like I say, these are back of the envelope estimates just to show the trend. There would be no easy way to accommodate those different temperature requirements between those extremely different R values that the heat must penetrate. That will definitely effect the value of it on resale of the house.

The other problem with above floor installations, except for pex in concrete, is that the pex radiates directly into the floor covering. Even with aluminum spreaders there will be significant cold spots where the spreaders don't exist.
On an underfloor pex installation on the other hand the heat will migrate in all directions through first the subfloor and then the underlayment. This will provide a lot more even heat to the floor covering.

I think maybe you have overstressed the importance of direct heat conductivity through short distances to the floor covering. If you have to do it that way because of limited access underneath, well fine. But if not then below subfloor installation has a lot going for it in milder climates.
I just want to remind where all discussion is coming from. Radiant hydroponic heating system is low or even very low temperature heating system. This makes possible using heat pump for heating water. Performance and COP of heat pump depends on temperature difference (outside/inside). The main goal to make water temperature as low as possible. This is why adding R value to your floor covering will lead to water temperature increase. My installation is hybrid above floor but I have extra layer of plywood above pex. In my installation I have 5/8 plywood and hardwood or tiles (about 20%) my water temperature was max @ 95 F.

I don't think it is a great idea to put tiles or carpet or any other flooring right on top of pex.

I am absolutely happy about performance of my heating floor system.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote