View Single Post
Old 02-02-17, 04:45 AM   #6
Ormston
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuario View Post
I aim to maintain the water temperature fed to the floor typically at between 31 and 34 degrees which is good for 'normal' days. The problem is when we get very cold and/or windy days, then I have to increase the floor temperature up to around 38 degrees.
Acuario
Acuario

You say the floor is typically 31 to 34 and needs increasing for exceptional weather, is your controller allowing for outside temperature (weather compensation) or just working at a fixed temperature?

Our ongoing project (underfloor heating across 3 floors, ground floor in screed and aluminium spreader plates upstairs) maintains indoor temperature within 1 to 1.5C (in winter) by automatically adjusting the water temperature based on outside temperature.
The lag in our system is significant, if i were to let room temp drop to 18c, it would probably be 2 days before the house was back to a stable 20.5.

At +10C outside we need 23C water and at -5C outside we need 28C in the floor.
The actual surface of the floor doesn't really move from 23C so i think it's more about the the amount of watts pumped into the floor than the water temperature itself.
Eventually we will have internal room thermostats to tweak individual room temperatures.
The only time the system struggles is spring and autumn when chilly nights demand heat into the floor and warmer sunny days cause overheating with high solar gain onto an already warm floor.
Being able to predict a warm day ahead would help our system, predicting colder weather less so.

Steve
Ormston is offline   Reply With Quote