View Single Post
Old 02-21-14, 10:31 AM   #97
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hygy View Post
I searched ebay for co2 sensor too, but the cheapest sensor what I found is about $40 which I considered to be too expensive. I bouth a katalyt (petrol) stove, what I can use to heat my small tent, or in minibus. But this stove produces co2 and water vapor. So I was thinking about what if there a lot of co2 and I start to sleep, and never finish. So maybe a good co2 sensor with an arduino and a beeper can help me.
In my thread about developing a CO2 controlled Heat Recovery Ventilator, I may not have mentioned so much about my experiences of actually having a CO2 monitor in my house. I learned that far more CO2 is generated in my house than I would have ever guessed. It's coming from my gas kitchen stove, my gas clothes dryer, my gas water heater and from a gas heater I bought to warm the basement. I can see on my meter, a rise in CO2 every time I use any of those devices, and often, the rise in CO2 in my house can get to dangerous levels.

I have to say that I have done a lot of work in my house to reduce air leaks, so that is part of why a small problem (CO2) has become a big problem. And it was a big, unseen problem before, but now I can see it with my CO2 unit I built.

This CO2 buiild-up has caused me to start using induction cooking in the winter time when the house is closed.

I haven't yet created a fix for my gas dryer (maybe a heat pump clothes dryer?) or gas water-heater (heat pump water heater?), but they are on my list of things to do.

The gas heater in my basement is absolutely deadly, and it was a mistake to ever buy it. If I even run it for 15 minutes, the CO2 levels in the whole house begin to soar!

The reason I'm telling you all this is to try to impart an awareness that CO2 levels are invisible and have consequences.

Also hygy, you need to know that where ever you have open combustion, not only will you have CO2, but you will also have carbon monoxide in smaller quantities, that is even more deadly.

It would not be beautiful or heroic to be found asphyxiated, in a tent, in the forest.

Your life is worth more than $40.

Best,

-AC