View Single Post
Old 06-02-13, 12:53 AM   #5
Quest
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Good idea, Piwoslaw.

Unfortunately, 2 things come to my mind: (1) most dual flush toilets sold in my area are either outrageously expensive, or (2) poor flush performance (rim wash is something that I value a lot), or a combination of both.

Most of the domestic brand name dual flush sold here such as Kohler, etc. are of terrible/inconsistent quality and performance, ditto with most of the AS Cadets that I can afford (been told that AS Cadet 4 works wonders, but given their(AS) performance and quality track records recently with the full series of Cadets (not Champions, out of my budget still) have been sub-par so far, I'm afraid that for the additional approx. 1 Litre of water saved when flushing liquid waste may be offsetted by the need of frequent bowl scrub (that brought up the rather horrifying experiences I had RE: Caroma toilets, claimed to be low flush (possibly 1st gen designed/manufactured in the early 90s, still being bought/sold here even until recently, which includes the 2 that our property management recently retrofitted in the office toilet just to cut water usage....absolutely horrid experience: plugs frequently, a very high/tall design which doesn't sit comfortably; it has very tall/narrow throat (or steep bowl) with very little water line down at the very bottom of the toilet. When flushed, the water creates a high, arc-like shaped spash from the rim straight into the opening area, but not enough water to give a complete bowl rinse, and freqently soiled toilet paper stuck on the inner side wall/bowl area and cannot be rid of even with repeated flushing, and the list goes on and on).

*sorry, just got interrupted by my 3yr old son, who just dump his big solid waste into my 6L flush and in just one flush, it took care of his mess + sufficient enough water for rim/bowl wash to rid of his rather sticky/pasty stuff....*

Anyways, while I understand that there are some high performance 4.8L (or 3.8L flush out there), or 4.8L/6L dual flush, fact is, it still very costly in our area to buy high performance HET or low flush toilets.

I'd really love to get my hands on some Toto, but even Drake 2pcs costs over 300bux +tax in my area so no thank you.

That 1L extra saving isn't gonna work out in my case, for it'll prolly take me at least 1+decade in order to offset the initial purchase price difference (when compared to my Foremost Opal 6L flush).

Thanks for the advice though...someday, just one day down the road, when the price of HET comes down to a sensible level, I may consider doing them (replacing toilets) again.

My take right now is to swap out 2 out of 3 of our 13L flush toilets to cut down on water consumption (replacing them with 6L meaning I should cut down by half, given all other variables equal).

Quest
Quest is offline   Reply With Quote