View Single Post
Old 08-09-15, 10:36 AM   #10
doug30293
Too Many Projects

Off-grid campers all tell me the biggest single drain on the battery is the heater fan. The awful noise it makes should be a clue. From my experience it is also the most wasteful consumer of propane.

About twenty years ago a friend of mine came to the same conclusion and installed hot water radiant heating in his brand new motorhome. The wife was not happy about 3/4" copper pipe screwed down on top of the carpet around the perimeter of the living space. It was, however, a significant improvement in comfort and efficiency. This fellow was from Sweden, where he said this was how all RV's are heated. He had the heating unit shipped from Sweden, though I suppose they might now be available here. It wasn't cheap.

Copper pipe on the carpet isn't an option for me either. I haven't figured out where to put the PEX without it being an eyesore. One possibility is to put several loops in the floor duct and force air through it with a few computer fans. I could also hide about 30 feet under and behind the couch, no problem until the wife has a hot flash while watching TV.
doug30293 is offline   Reply With Quote