View Single Post
Old 08-05-15, 10:11 AM   #6
doug30293
Too Many Projects

Liquid Roof is quite expensive and it is a lot of work. If I were doing it over I would replace the EPDM skin. There was damage to the OSB underneath where the trim failed at the rear. This required pulling up about six feet of the skin.

With little more effort I could have pulled the entire roof, replaced the fiberglass with spray foam, and used lighter/stronger plywood instead of the OSB. That OSB is lightly nailed to flimsy trusses and tends to lift the nails over time.

Back when our trailers were built the rooftop AC units were available in three or four sizes from 6K up to 13.5K. The only thing readily available now is 13.5K or 15K. Yours might be 8K which would explain its inability to keep up. Texas summers don't help.

The roll out awning on the passenger side cuts heat penetration through the wall if it is facing the sun. It will also self destruct in a heavy rain or wind as I found out last week. Sunchaser (Dometic) uses the same flimsy tube extrusion for anything from 8FT up to 25FT. Our 20FT literally snapped in the middle. I'm told many full-timers and snowbirds just leave theirs rolled up and use a $79 flea market pop-up to avoid the cost and possible damage to the side of the trailer. If I repair mine I will use mesh sun shade fabric instead of solid vinyl.

I am going to look into Reflectix. But I may just use pink EPS foam sheet. We blocked one window in our house with 3/4" EPS that was getting the afternoon sun. Blocking that one window noticeably reduced our cooling requirement. I'm cooling 2300 sq.ft with two 5K window shakers. It was 101F yesterday and our inside temp topped at 77F.

My comment in another thread a few years back about windows not making much difference in our cooling bill was short sighted at best.
doug30293 is offline   Reply With Quote