View Single Post
Old 08-04-15, 09:57 AM   #4
doug30293
Too Many Projects

I just looked at your embedded video. The layout is nearly identical to my 02 Four winds, which we will be living in shortly.

If your EPDM roof is original and showing signs of age I can definitely recommend you either replace it or top it with Liquid Roof. That made an almost unbelievable difference in my ceiling temperature. Prior to the coating my trailer would get above 115F inside on a 90F day (AC off). It now stays below 100F under similar conditions.

The temperature yesterday was 97F. My knees blistered while kneeling on the slide out which has not been coated. At the same time I could rest my hand on the coated roof without discomfort. I don't have an IR gun to provide numbers but my best guess is a surface temperature difference of 30F.

The standard RV AC is 13.5K BTU. I think this is gross overkill. If time permits I am going to temporarily hack a standard 5K window shaker to see if it will keep up with August heat in Georgia. I think it will if one doesn't mind inside temperatures up to 78F.

There are a few tube videos of off-gridders running 5K units successfully from solar panels. Now that is a valid justification for PV's.
doug30293 is offline   Reply With Quote