Thread: DIY Powerwall
View Single Post
Old 03-30-22, 04:16 PM   #3
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Hi Guys, haven't been around for quite awhile, but ...

I've built a few hundred (it seems) powerwalls for off grid use. I've used a variety of batteries. Mostly repurposed crashed electric car modules. Really like the Chevy Volt modules. Toyota Prius Prime used to be fairly inexpensive and obviously good quality. The Volts were quirky with charge discharge voltages. Buy an inverter with a wider voltage range for sure.

Lifepo4 bus cells. Mmmmm. Be ready to do a lot of testing and try to match capacity.

Honestly, new good quality Lifepo4 would be my recommendation. The new cost is so low in kit form now. Jeez. The only trick is the BMS and in the past few years those have also improved. Some nice bluetooth models out there apparently. I can't recommend any as I haven't tested any.

DiY powerwalls are great. One thing to think about. Its not if the cells catch on fire. Its what happens if the fire gets to the cells. I continue to recommend batteries of any kind have a separate outdoor location. Or build a nice steel box. See the new code 9450 is it?

Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog that is down right now but will return
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Business where I sell solar stuff
[url]https://www.bobolinksolar.com
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote