View Single Post
Old 11-09-13, 06:05 PM   #4
where2
DIY Geek

Welcome Nemo! I too hail from the Sunshine State, lower east side. Although slightly newer, my home is a 2-story, combination of concrete block (lower story) and wood frame (upper story), built in 1961. Best air sealing improvement I have made thus far was replacing all my 1962 single pane awning windows with double pane hurricane impact rated casement windows. I literally used to be able to feel the air escaping out the upper story windows when my central A/C was running. I went with casements because they allow me to scoop the wind into the windows during the few weeks a year that it's nice enough to open the windows, and they had triple seals. I've still got more air sealing to do... When I first bought the house, on cold February mornings, you used to be able to literally feel the cold north wind blowing through my house and taking my hard earned dollars with it.

I've got an all electric house with a 4.4kW PV system on my roof (as of August 1, 2013). My 2013 September electric bill was $47, October was $38. Last year (2012), those bills were $116 and $106, respectively. October 2011, the bill was $132. Every little bit helps.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote