View Single Post
Old 01-17-18, 06:42 PM   #5
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

I had some kind of timing problem with the garage door 'sketch' (above) and had to edit out
anything that seemed like it would slow down execution.
I think those serial outputs for monitoring Flow, may have been slowing things down. It's smaller now and seems to be working flawlessly with Alexa (and Echo)..
Not sure about my wife's Boston-speak, but I don't think 'door' is pronounced 'dough-ahh'.
That ESP8266 module is inside a water resistant box, hardwired into the garage doors (for now)..

I just had to order a couple more ESP modules and found a nice 'sketch' for sending information from the module, using email or SMS..
It works pretty well. I'm using the example sketch for now.
Not sure where I'll use this, but maybe something to add-on to the security system,
or the smoke & CO detectors.. Maybe even basement flood detectors.?.
$3.69 isn't bad for what it can do..

https://github.com/connornishijima/AlertMe

"Did you know your ESP8266 could send Email and SMS without any special hardware or paid services like Twilio?

With AlertMe, your ESP8266 project can:

Email you when an external sensor triggers, such as a button press, tilt, vibration, or any other sensor/interrupt combo you can think of!
Text you when a motion sensor detects something it shouldn't!
Quickly connect to any WiFi network, with hotspot configuration of your notification settings!
Send Email through the provider of your choice via SMTP! (*Only Gmail tested so far)
Send SMS through your cell phone carrier's SMS-to-Email portal! (Over 200 worldwide carriers supported)
"