View Single Post
Old 04-25-12, 06:37 PM   #35
Drake
DIY Guy

My intentions of this discussion weren't to upset anyone or imply that the direction any other wishes to take are wrong. If so I apologize. But fact many people HAVE died from CO2 in UN air tight spaces. Nearly myself(while awake) in an ice house when younger.

I can't see how a set ACH can be assigned to all spaces and all lifestyles in that space. If it is an average what is the range of that average if one wished to make do all thing needed to achieve the low end. Standard are revised all the time so they are not absolute. The DIY HRV thread seems to show I'm not the only one not satisfied with commercial HRV's. I don't think I dis'd earth tube but if I did one is one of my major options(at least for minimal night ACH as I will trenching 150' out of hill side for gravity footing drainage and line for possible future HP pump and dump, have oversized well and wetland at bottom of hill and is allowed). I calculate that it is not long enough nor deep enough the whole run to be able to pretemper incoming air for worst case winter so it will need another source as well. A second 150' run could be laid in the trench needed for gravity sewer line to septic mound. Earth tubes have a potential for toxic mold though it is minimized if only used in winter. So one is not decided on method yet. Day time solar tempered fresh air not difficult 80% of the time. In college I all but heated my two room brown stone apartment with a 4x8 DIY soda can solar collector in Duluth, MN. Granted there was a very large swing from mid 90's to low 50's but preheating fresh air shouldn't be undoable. Over heating thru solar will not be an issue for me as any overload of heat can be dumped into the half of or home that will be a large three season space if we don't want to heat it for use in winter.

Fresh air is the last unresolved piece of my construction project and a very important one which is why I want as best a solution as I can find. I find "frosting" and HRV performance because of it troubling. That they are "coded" into new construction doesn't make them perfect or the best method.

I have designed and built many high tech and elaborate systems in my life and what I have learned the most from them is that those that required the least were the most overall successful.

MN Ren, Don't worry about going off topic your last post made me consider the potential of my mostly unheated cabin space as a large area of tempered air for nighttime. It as it stands is passive solar and well insulated enough to rarely freeze even when unheated. Dumping overflow heat from from even more aggressively passive/super insulated space hold even higher temp tempered air. It may have some VOC's in it but it won't have any O2/CO2 issues. I purposing installed leakier slider windows in it to allow enough fresh air for safe wood stove(w/ make up air) combustion. A daytime solar collector can feed this space as well(one has never been needed yet as wood stove provides more than enough free heat). If it turns out that this spaced is used often another night time fresh air source will be needed.

I am working on calculating potential daily non toilet grey water volume and how many btu's could be recycled to preheat night time air also. With near free well water/septic sewer svg water isn't less important, sending heated water btu's down is.

Solar%20air%20heat%20-%20Wikipedia,%20the%20free%20encyclopedia.webarchi ve

Solar%20Buildings%20-%20Transpired%20Air%20Collectors,%20Ventilation%20 Preheating%20SolarWall%20News.webarchive

These site are info on low temp transpired solar air preheating which might be another option.

I am a critical consumer. And I don't see Big Tech as the best answer to low demand. No offense to anyone.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote