View Single Post
Old 11-24-19, 10:35 PM   #12
where2
DIY Geek

Thanks for the update Pinball. I thought I'd seen a thread about this subject years ago. I need to open up the L1 charger that came with my eGolf. It's a Delphi that may be adaptable to 240V. It resembles a miniature version of the ClipperCreek HCS-40 I just bought.

I picked up the used ClipperCreek HCS-40 (32A) Level 2 charger off eBay (under $400 shipped). The first thing I did when it arrived was open it up to look inside. (because there is no warranty, right?) The four rectangular LED's are all in the same orientation on the Delphi (120V) and the ClipperCreek (240V) units I own. I wonder if they use the same communications board inside?

Used the Level 2 charger for the first time on Friday night, set the car at 13A charging rate (Options are: Max, 13A, 10A, 5A). Saturday morning, the car indicated 160 miles of range available. I put just over 30 miles on it today, and my remaining range is showing ~125 miles to empty. Not bad for a car with an estimated 125 mile range. I don't expect I'll be using the Level 2 charger on the 30A rate very often as the e-Golf doesn't have liquid cooled batteries and pushing 7.2kW into the pack with passive cooling sounds like roasting marshmallows. However, it's good to have the option in a pinch since it can add 100 miles of range to my car in under 3 hours. (It's probably also not as much heat as the DC fast charging connector would generate in the batteries). Using the supplied Level 1 charger, adding 100 miles takes ~18 hours.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote