View Single Post
Old 06-16-15, 12:22 PM   #8
Acuario
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Originally, would you believe 10 years ago, when I knew I was moving to Spain I bought a whole load of computer psu cooling fans and made up a 6x6 grid of them to achieve roughly what I have now.

It did work but it was incredibly noisy and needed a separate psu to run the fans + wiring and mounting them wasn't easy as there was little space on them for mounting. I eventually abandoned them but the idea has always been there.

The fans now are mounted on a high density foam panel, the type they use for double glazing and the noise when all four fans are running isn't anywhere close to the old psu fans. The fans also have 3 speed settings so could be varied if necessary but for the moment I'm running them at full speed.

I did think about adding a controller to switch the fans on/off etc. but I wanted to keep it as simple as possible and quite honestly I think it would be somewhat overkill to add much control. Possibly adding a simple 24hr timer to switch them on/off is the most that is needed.

AC - sadly not yet - lack of time! Between the beginning of November and middle of February we demolished the old part of our house and built a new 140m2 (1500 sq ft for the imperial guys!) house for my parents. It is mega insulated (sprayed on expanding polyurethane foam 5cm in all the cavities, 7cm in the roof, 5cm in the floors, solar reflective glass in all the double glazed windows) and has under floor heating/cooling (using a home made air/water heat pump) which works impressively well. - Maybe I should start a thread as it is an on-going project with RS485 wall thermostats feeding back to a central controller to open/close the under floor heating valves, mixed heat pump/solar panel/ last resort oil boiler for heating..the list goes on.

I also invested time (as a necessity) into obtaining my certification for handling refrigerant gasses (it is a European requirement). Without this certificate I could no longer buy refrigerant gasses.

I still have the machine in my workshop and will get back to it at some point.
Acuario is offline   Reply With Quote