View Single Post
Old 10-22-16, 09:49 AM   #57
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I also have a SolarEdge system. Mine is a bit smaller 12 280 watt modules with the 3kw inverter. The Max output for the inverter is placarded at 3,300 watts but I've actually seen 3,480 watts on my eGauge with the display on the inverter showing the power output that high too. There are limits to oversizing the array that are covered in this document.
http://www.solaredge.com/sites/defau...zing_guide.pdf

My power company has me on a production based incentive program(in addition to net metering) where I'm locked into my current system unless I get approval from them to make a change until that 10 year program is over because I'm basically allowing them to claim the M-RETS credits as their own, which is based on the PVWatts estimates of my system, so if I upgrade the system, they don't get the same amount of credits as what I'm being paid for. ..but once that is over I think I might DIY pole mount a few additional modules in the back yard to boost my output. I could add up to 690 watts more in the back yard, tied into my current string, and the costs would be minimal for the addition, a basic 2 module pole, bury the power wire, add 2 optimizers, run the permit, etc using the same inverter. I'm sortof wishing I would have had one size larger inverter though because my neighbor just chopped down the tree that was blocking a different roof section that would likely allow another 2kw of nameplate capacity to my system. I think what I'll do, is if the inverter ever goes outside of warranty, I'll upgrade the capacity at that point and install more modules on that other face.

I really do like the SolarEdge system and it's been trouble free. You can get it equipped for the new rapid shutdown requirement, which is a pain for other string inverters. I heard something about other inverters not producing power unless they had a minimum number of watts. I haven't seen this with SolarEdge, I'll see a single digit wattage output displayed on my inverter and a clean ramp up in production on my eGauge that ramps up from zero.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MN Renovator For This Useful Post:
Roostre (10-22-16)