View Single Post
Old 09-12-17, 02:04 PM   #27
antdun
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dablack View Post
Antdun,

I love your project and I do think solar and a leaf go great together but I wouldn't use the gas savings money in your calculations unless you add the cost of the car to your initial capital investment.

If you already have a gas car, are you selling it? What is it worth? How much for a leaf that you like. Maybe the one for $6k came from Houston (flooded) and you really don't want that. Who knows.

What I'm saying is, you are taking parts of a picture and now the whole picture. If you start using the benefits of the leaf in your calculation, then you need to use all the numbers from the leaf and sale of your old car. Also, as you said, I would add in the cost of oil changes from your old car. Finally, is there a difference in insurance cost between your old car and the leaf?

Again, great project.
Great point. I was just assuming that I'd have a car regardless of solar so I didn't think to include it's purchase price in the break even calculation. I'm planning to get a used 2013 SV or SL model which I've found in my local classifieds for around $8,000. I sold my gas car (2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T) and used that cash to purchase the solar panel equipment with the intention of switching the car to electric. My Sonata sold for about $8,000 so they're at the same price point. I'm currently commuting to work on my motorcycle or our one family car when it's snowing. I intend to purchase the LEAF once I get my tax return next year or as soon as I've saved enough to buy one. Not having to change the oil or other engine related maintenance is going to be awesome!