View Single Post
Old 09-29-14, 07:05 PM   #5
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

The thing I like best about cfl and led lights is not having to change bulbs every month. They both last forever compared to incandescents. And the durability factor is worth so much more than pocket change.

Cfl's will generally screw right in anywhere a general-purpose old-school bulb needs to be replaced. They do a good job at throwing light evenly in all directions, and not blinding you if you look straight at them. Installed in closets, pantries, and attics, they will literally last a lifetime. And guess what? No flash then dark next Christmas when you go to dig out all those ornaments.

LED lights come in way more shapes, colors, sizes, and configurations than cfl's do. I have replaced some of my 2 foot and 4 foot fluorescent fixtures with led strip lights with highly satisfying results. No more delay when the switch is flipped, and no more flickering when it's cold outside... I believe they have now graduated beyond the "Christmas lights" they used to be! Put a "corncob" in your droplight in the garage and repeatedly pick the thing up off the ground, still working. That corncob has saved me at least an hour of having to hunt for another bulb in the middle of a project.

Beware what color of white you get, though. There are many colors with "white" in the name, and even the same name is a different hue from brand to brand.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote