View Single Post
Old 05-09-13, 06:38 PM   #3
jlaw
Learning to save

I am living in a 1650 sq' ranch home. I have a 3 ton 15 seer heat pump witha propane furnace as back up. I live in eastern NC. Winter temps average probably about 30f. Sometimes it gets to 20f at night but almost always gets to 40f in the day time. I assume from your statements that you have something similar. I have 9 to 10" insulation in attic most of the house has 3.5 in walls, vinyl replacement windows, insulated entance doors and a double french door . House faces south so good sun exposure in the winter. It also has a crawl space and I insulated the floor beneath the house to 6.25".

Our electric rate is 7.5 cents per KWH and my all electric house has had a high electric bill of $190.00. I forgot to mention I use a Honeywell IAQ thermostat with an outdoor temp sensor to control the system. I rarely have to invoke backup heat. I have been using the same 200 gallon propane tank for 3 years. I also have a 4" high efficiency air filter.

If you get a heat pump, which I would recommend, get the Honeywell stat as well. It is very flexible and capable and worth the money. It controls every device that can be connected to the unit.
Thermostats | Programmable Thermostats | Digital Thermostat | Thermostat | Honeywell Thermostats
VisionPRO IAQ 7-Day Programmable Comfort System

Controls temperature and indoor air quality products from one control
Easy-to-follow menu driven programming
Smart change/check reminders on air filters, UV bulbs and humidifier pads

Make sure your contractor shows you his sizing method and explains how he came up with his figures. Make sure he will be sealing the duct work, you can lose 30 or more heat and cooling through duct leaks. Make sure they are quoting insulated duct work. Many contractors I contacted wanted to argue about how I wanted it done because it was more cost effective for them to do it their way.

Last edited by jlaw; 05-09-13 at 06:42 PM..
jlaw is offline   Reply With Quote